Starting with a Zeiss Ikon folding medium format camera inherited from my grandmother, a couple of SLRs inherited from my parents, and Canonet rangefinder from eBay, I’ve gotten into film photography as an amusing hobby.
These are just my notes on the films I’ve tried so I know what is worth trying next.
Black and white
- Ilford HP5 400
- I’ve used this in 120 format, where it has minimal grain.
- Kodak Tri-X 400
- In 35mm, a very classic, grainy, high-contrast look.
- Kodak T-Max 400
- In 35mm, a cleaner, less grainy look that I quite like.
- Kodak Ektar 100
- In 120, a very clean, neutral, sharp color film.
- Kodak Portra 400
- I’ve only tried this in 120 so far, where it is slightly pastel with low grain.
- Fuji Superia 400
- Quite inexpensive in 35mm. Saturated colors that can sometimes be a bit exaggerated, but does well in ordinary daylight settings.